NHS Tayside’s Food, Fluid and Nutritional Care Policy has been updated with changes to Section 4: Protocol for the Management of Artificial Nutrition Support in Hospital and Community (Adults) 4.1 Enteral tube feeding 4.2 Parenteral Nutrition.
The main changes to Section 4 include:
- Appendices added based on review of evidence and best practice (a) Decision tree for Nasogastric tube placement in adults. (b) Checking of pH aspirate for gastrostomy tube replacement. (c) Flowchart for managing overgranulation tissue.
- Information added on the implementation of emergency equipment boxes across Tayside for the management of accidental displacement of enteral feeding tubes.
- Updated reference ranges.
- Updates/addition to Standard Operating Procedures to include pH checking and use of sterile water.
- Heparin and Sodium Chloride dose and volume defined for flushing PICC lines as 5mls heparin (50units per 5mls) and 10mls sodium chloride 0.9%.
For more detailed information about the changes please see the version control on page 2 of the document.
All managers must ensure that their staff read the Policy and the additional sections/sub-sections as they are published, that they understand these, and are implementing the Policy within their area of work as appropriate.
To subscribe and receive updates, please go to Staffnet (see search link top right corner) and search for ‘Protocol for the Management of Artificial Nutrition Support in Hospital and Community (Adults)’. When it appears, under the title link you will see a box ‘Subscribe to this document’ – if you click this you will be notified of any changes/updates.
For further information you can contact the Tayside Nutrition MCN team on 01382 740074, x71423 or e-mail email@example.com