NHS Tayside’s Infection Prevention and Control Policy has been updated to fully align with the Health Protection Scotland National Infection Prevention and Control Manual.
What is the National Infection Prevention and Control Manual (NIPCM)?
The NHSScotland National Infection Prevention and Control Manual was first published in 2012, by the Chief Nursing Officer (CNO). It is an evidence-based National Infection Prevention and Control Manual (NIPCM) for Scotland, intended to be used by all those involved in care provision.
The manual contains information on Standard Infection Control Precautions (SICPs), and Transmission Based Precautions (TBPs), Healthcare Infection incidents, outbreaks and data exceedance. It is a practice guide for use in Scotland which when used can help reduce the risk of Healthcare Associated Infection (HAI) and ensure the safety of those being cared for, staff and visitors in the care environment.
It aims to:
- Make it easy for care staff to apply effective infection prevention and control precautions
- Reduce variation and optimise infection prevention and control practices throughout Scotland
- Help reduce the risk of Healthcare Associated Infection (HAI)
- Help align practice, monitoring, quality improvement and scrutiny
Who should use the Manual?
- It is mandatory for NHSScotland
- In all other care settings to support health and social care integration, the content of this manual is considered best practice
It should be adopted for all infection prevention and control practices and procedures.
Is the Manual based on scientific literature?
The recommendations for practice made in the Manual are based on real-time reviews of the current scientific literature and best practice. Any major changes identified in the scientific literature may lead to a change being made to the Manual.
What is in the Appendices?
The Appendices can be used as practical implementation of the NIPCM and contain graphical representations (for example diagrams and charts) that can be used along with the contents of the Manual. Many of the Appendices can be printed off as posters for local use.
The NIPCM and remaining supporting local Infection Prevention and Control Policy can be accessed at Staffnet Home | Safe & Effective Working | Policies | Clinical Policies (Inc. Infection, Prevention and Control)