NHS Tayside’s Food, Fluid and Nutritional Care Policy has been updated with changes to Section 1.2: Protocol for the Assessment and Management of Hydration in Adults
The main changes to Section 1.2 include:
- SEWS have been replaced with NEWS
- Addition of the role of advanced level nurses
- SOP 1.2.3 Step 3 has been updated to reflect there is no evidence that two nurses are required to dispense/administer subcutaneous fluids
- Addition of Appendix 3: Subcutaneous fluids – information leaflet for patients, carers and relatives
- SOP 1.2.3 has been enhanced to include patients at home receiving subcutaneous fluids
- An update to references
All managers must ensure that their staff read the Policy and the additional sections/sub-sections as they are published, that they understand these, and are implementing the Policy within their area of work as appropriate.
To subscribe and receive updates, please go to Staffnet (see Search link top right corner) and search for ‘Section 1.2: Protocol for Eating and Drinking within Hospitals’. When it appears, under the title link you will see a box ‘Subscribe to this document’ – if you click this you will be notified of any changes/updates.
For further information you can contact the Tayside Nutrition MCN team on 01382 740074, x71423 or e-mail email@example.com